6.29.2012

Pineville Friends Trip



I grew up in a small town called Pineville, Louisiana. The only really big thing in Pineville is a mental hospital. When I went to college and told people I was from "Pineville," they automatically thought that I lived in the mental hospital. Ha ha. No, there are a few more things in Pineville. They had a stinky papermill. We lived in a neighborhood called Village Green. There were two girls that grew up with us in Village Green. Karen Francis was one of the girls. She has a twin brother named Kevin. At some point in high school, I think I had a crush on Kevin, but it was not meant to be. Andrea Frey was another friend. Her dad was a Federal Marshall so they lived an exciting life. This week, we decided to have a girl's trip and all meet up in Houston. Andrea and her six year old daughter, Bailey, flew in from North Carolian. Karen and her two sons (Will: 5 and Clint: 3) drove in from Alexandria, Lousiana. We spent the first day going to the William's Tower (huge building with a waterfall) for a picnic. Next, we took the kids to see the movie Brave. We ended the day at the Houston Children's Museum. Needless to say, it was fun filled packed day. Corrin said "We have done more today with the kids than I usually do in the entire summer." She was completely joking because she takes the kids to the pool, movies, etc. We just don't do all that in one day. The next day we woke up and headed to San Antonio for Sea World. Let me just preface this by saying that I am not an amusement park person. Let me continue to say that I am really not an amuesment park person when the summer heat is over 100 degrees. Corrin is like me. Karen and Andrea, however, are troopers. They were determined to get the biggest bang for their buck and make sure the kids saw and did everything. They are great parents. They kept telling me as I am dying in the heat "Christa, it is about the kids." At that moment, I was thinking "I love my kids, but it is HOT. In the end, we eneded up having an amazing day. The kids got to feed the dolphins, we watched two shows, rode rides, and played in the water. It was a good day. Corrin had to bring Sophia back to the hotel early because she was sick. At then end of the day I was spent. I am thankful for my friends, though, for keeping me there because the kids had a blast. We had the most fantastic hotel. Corrin checked in while we were at Sea World. She has been listening to the Dale Carnigie how to win friends and influence people. She used the tactics in that book, made an impression on the front desk clerk, and scored us the best room in the hotel. Our room literally looked out and the Alamo was right in front of us. At the end of the night, we pulled up to the hotel around 9:30. The valet guy looked at me and said "oh, you already checked in." I looked at him and said no I haven't. He looked at me like I was crazy. I then said "oh, my twin sister checked in earlier. This made him feel a million times better because he knew he wasn't crazy. Ha ha..The next day, we went to the River Walk, ate Mexican, and did the Riverwalk Boat ride. Corrin had to take Sophia to a walk in clinic where they diagnosed her with bronchtis. We eneded up getting a babysiter (friend of a friend in San Antionio) to watch the kids so we could have a fun girls night out. We went to the Riverwalk and ended up at a fun piano bar. In the end, it was a fantastic time with old friends. It was weird being around smaller kids since my kids are older. The kids were great. They cried a lot .....lol...but they really behaved well. They were also the cutest kids. Before we headed back, we went to the Wildlife Safari place outside of San Antonio where you can feed animals from your car. The kids liked that. Life is really good. God is even better:))))

No comments: